Recent twitter entries...

How the score index works in muti

How the score index works in muti

So, after joining Muti (a digg type service for South Africa) on Wednesday, one of the first things that I noticed was that each of my submissions had a score attached to it. Immediately my sense of curiousity was sparked, and so was my competitive nature - what was this score jobbie, and how could i get mine to be higher than everyone else's?

After scrounging around the muti site and reading all the support docs I could find, I finally realized that the answer was not on the muti site. At first this hacked me off a teensy bit (the inner OCD me coming out) but now I see why it's not up there. Following the futile site digging i sent out a tweet with a #muti hashtag hoping that a) this hashtag existed and b)someone would be able to help.

As luck would have it, thakadu had just started following hashtags and we started conversing on tweet. Here's the low down on muti scores:

(Oh, before i start - these scores will be removed from the muti site soon, and that's why there's no lit on them available anywhere.Take it away Thakadu)

Muti Scores

That score is a composite of "clicks" and votes. It is a holdover from the very early days of muti when I needed a way to differentiate posts before there were many voters. Its basically a weighted value for votes (right now I think its 15 points per vote) and "clicks" (I think its 9 points per click)

I say "clicks" in quotes because its not as simple as just plain clicks for the following reasons:


  1. Only the first 5 clicks at the same ip address are counted, this is so that you cant just repeatedly click on an item to raise its score.

  2. Many people (more than 60%) don't use the muti site to read muti (They use rss, twitter, jaiku, jabber etc etc) ie its only clicks from the site (In the early days muti did not yet have all these alternate means of reading so it was more reflective)

  3. Some browsers quite simply don't report the click accurately, most notably some versions of IE. (The click is an ajax call and some browsers simply ignore ajax when clicking away)

So as you can see its a very rough score it worked well in the early days but its pretty much obsolete now and one of these days I will probably remove it, most people look at the votes and not the score.

Thanks for taking the time to give me the lowdown thakadu! After less than one week as a part of the muti community, I think I can already say that I really like it here. Now if I could only get a t-shit out of them (nudge's rafiq)

Comments (0)