Recent twitter entries...

The Black and White Edition


" Insight is not a lightbulb that goes off inside our heads. It is a flickering candle that can easily be snuffed out"

Riiiiiight. So its going to be one of those editions eh? One where he yaps on and on about deep stuff. Again. Weeell, then lets at least hope he's funny while he does it :)

Most of you that know me, know that I consume literature at what might be called a ravenous rate. If you didn't know that, you can tell by the fact that I say pompous things like "consuming literature" and "ravenous" instead of saying I like to read alot. Anyway, I'm reading a book called "Blink" by Malcolm Gladwell, which is where the quote is from. The book is all about making snap judgments in a fraction of a second. About the power and the pitfalls, and the different ways that we process information to be used to make those judgments. I for one thought that I was pretty slick, what with me making those all the time. Forget thinking twice, I barely think once. And then go on to assume that I'm always right. Bright, huh?
Anyhow, reading this book made me realize that I do in fact make a lot of incorrect snap judgments. Especially about people. I think we all do. But then we also

a) Hate to admit that we do it, cos its 'wrong'

and

b) Hate to admit when we do it wrong.

This letter is about as close to an apology as its going to get from me, to all the people who I've made snap decisions about. You may be one of them. You may have made the same snap judgments about me and thought - "What a doos" and it's ok. I now understand. And if you did think "what a doos". Well - then I say "You're a doos too." Ooops, sorry - I meant to say "that's ok"
This apology is meant in particular for a very tall person, who I had decided I don't like very much. Just, you know, made up my mind about them. They then proceeded to completely bollocks up my whole plan by actually being a nice person. To the point where, despite my trying not to, we got along. Dammit. So I'm sorry. If you have no idea what the hell I'm yapping on about, then its not you I'm talking about then is it? And if the person who this is meant for doesn't get it, well then you don't deserve the apology. Anyone confused yet? Good.

Why the Black and White edition? Well, cos the more I thought about it, the more I realized that I think about things in very Yes or No terms. Either in or your out. With me or against me. Black or White. This type of thinking is very useful if you're saaay....a packet of smarties. You're either in the box or not. But not very useful for everyday life. I'm surprised I haven't had the sh*t smacked out of me more often! By someone other than Jill I mean. Or my mother. Or my grand mother. You get the point.

So my task for this week is to look at things with a little more insight. Take time to see that big blob of gray wedged between the monochrome. And who knows, maybe next week its you I'll be apologizing to. Oh, and for those who are interested : The no smoking and no drinking thing is going well. I fell healthy to the point where its annoying and my budgets been lightened. Alot. I did fumble ever so slightly on Saturday at Geo's (cool) 21st by having a glass of Red Wine, but then the doc did say that red wine was good for me.

So this week, be nice person. Do the right. Be a man. Or a woman. Write mindless drivel like this and see how long it takes everyone to realize that the previous sentence had nothing to do with anything. And look for that dollop of grey in and amongst all the whack and blight.

Cheers till next time.

Comments (0)