Recent twitter entries...

'Wanted' movie is lots of fun (esp getting see Angelina's butt)

First off - don't hear what I'm not saying. I'm not saying that Wanted is one of the best films that I've seen in a while. What I am saying is that it's a helluva lot of fun to watch. Lately I haven't been making it to the cinema much. A combination of a busy schedule and the amazing amount or crap movies out (e.g. don't see The Eye - it blows) have lead to me chilling in the comfort of my couch and satisfying my cinematic appetite at home. Being able to watch movies on my projector does help tho, lol. Anyway, back to Wanted. On Saturday night the default boys and I decided that we should see it, cos the trailer looked cool as hell and well, cos Angelina Jolie is in it. So off to the Waterfront we trouped and got some tickets.

Now usually I don't watch action flicks due to the fact that directors often try very hard to persuade you that this stuff could actually happen in real life and often fail miserably (see Transporter et al). In Wanted however, this problem is dealt with in the first few minutes of the film when reality takes a flying leap out of the window. The director lets you know from the jump off that this is a no holds barred never gonna happen in real life ride that might just be fun. With some new and inventive stunts, gun play and incredulous car chase scenes, the effects department succeeded in keeping my interest piqued for almost the entire movie. The plot on the other hand is on the flimsy side and occasionally leans dangerously close to lost, but all in all it doesn't really matter when considering Wanted's subject matter - an ancient fraternity of assassins originally formed by a clan of weavers (so watch out for pissed of Rex Truform employees). I rest my case.


Aside from a breathtaking shot of Angelina Jolie's butt (or a shot of Angelina's breathtaking butt, you choose) she seems to be wasted in her role as a wise cracking gun toting vixen. Morgan Freeman too seems like he could have played the dignified mentor part in his sleep (Chain Reaction anyone?) You sorta get the feeling that pretty much anyone could have done it, much like a Britney Spears song.






James McAvoy (a la The Last King of Scotland) on the other hand manages to impress suitably as he's cast out of type and proves to be pretty damn funny. I enjoyed watching his on screen transformation from pissy little cubicle worm to bad ass assassin, but at times the film's notion that 'the only way to be a "real man" is to shoot somebody' made me slightly morally (or is that ethically) squeamish.



The short version? If you like big stunts, crazy fight scenes and over the top car chases, go and see Wanted. You probably won't feel compelled to see it again, but hey - it's fun the first time around. Oh, and do yourself a favour and go see it on the big screen. Somehow I don't think that the scale of the action will translate well when you're watching the downloaded version on your buddy's PC trying like hell to ignore the people getting up in the front row on your recorded copy.


Have a great start to your week,


Lester

Comments (0)